Thursday, April 28, 2011

Love Who You Love

"Love Who You Love"
by Lynn Ahrens
from A Man of No Importance (2002)

I'm not one to lecture -
How could I dare?
Someone like me who's been mainly nowhere.
But in my experience, be as it may,
You just have to love who you love.

Your common sense tells you, best not begin.
But your fool heart cannot help plungin' in,
And nothing and no one can stand in your way.
You just have to love who you love.

People can be hard sometimes
And their words can cut so deep.
Choose the one you choose, love,
And don't lose a moment's sleep.
Who can tell you who to want?
Who can tell you what you were destined to be?
Take it from me ...

There's no fault in lovin' -
No call for shame.
Everyone's heart does exactly the same.
And once you believe that, you'll learn how to say,
I love who I love who I love ...
So just go and love ... who you love

All directors and actors have a personal list of "dream shows" ... this one tops my list.  I would LOVE to play the leading role of Alfie Byrne in this musical, based on the 1994 Albert Finney film, with music by Stephen Flaherty and book (dialogue) by award-winning American playwright, Terrence McNally.  The story takes place in Dublin, Ireland, and concerns a middle-aged bus conductor in the early 1960's who is struggling not only with the church (over his plans to stage a community theatre production of Oscar Wilde's Salome), but his own "coming to terms" with being gay.  Throughout the musical, Alfie is advised and prompted by the spirit of Oscar Wilde himself.  I have used the musical's song "Love Who You Love" as an audition piece and I've ALWAYS loved singing it.

It's also no surprise that the score and songs of A Man of No Importance were written by one of my favorite tunesmith teams - Stephen Flaherty and Lynn Ahrens.  This talented pair has created the scores to some terrific musicals, including Ragtime, Seussical, Once On This Island, Lucky Stiff, My Favorite Year, and the animated feature, Anastasia, among others.  I guarantee you have not seen the last of Ms. Ahrens on this blog!

No comments:

Post a Comment