Friday, April 1, 2011

A Very Simple Secret

The Little Prince (1943)
by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

     And he went back to meet the fox.
     "Goodbye," he said.
     "Goodbye," said the fox.  "And now here is my secret, a very simple secret:  It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
     "What is essential is invisible to the eye," the little prince repeated, so that he would be sure to remember.

I would not be overstating the case if I told you that this book is my most cherished book.  No tale has had such a profound effect on me personally as this one and I suspect it will not be the last quote from this classic that you will see in this blog.  It's hard for me to put into words what stirs me so deeply about this work.  I suspect, being mostly an analytical man of science and math ... of facts, logic, and order ... the lesson of what's "essential" being "invisible to the eye" strikes such a profound chord.  I'm not sure I can say much more ... but what I can say is that if you have NOT read this book, you owe it to yourself to do so ... IMMEDIATELY.  Originally published in French (Le Petit Prince), I still feel the original English translation by Katherine Woods, even with its apparent mistakes, is still the most beautiful and poetic.

No comments:

Post a Comment