Wednesday, April 13, 2011

What I Did For Love

"What I Did For Love"
by Edward Kleban
from A Chorus Line (1975)

Kiss today goodbye,
The sweetness and the sorrow.
Wish me luck, the same to you.
But I can't regret
What I did for love.


Look my eyes are dry.
The gift was ours to borrow.
It's as if we always knew,
And I won't forget
What I did for love.

Gone,
Love is never gone.
As we travel on,
Love's what we'll remember.

Kiss today goodbye,
And point me toward tomorrow.
We did what we had to do.
Won't forget,
Can't regret,
What I did for love.

I guess this lyric falls into the "I-Really-Should-Be-Sick-Of-This-Song-By-Now-But-I'm-Not" category.  There are a number of songs that fall in this category, heck, I'm sure I'll be posting "Memory" from Cats before long ... another song I haven't tired of.  There's something so glorious about these lyrics, particularly when paired with its soaring melody, courtesy of Marvin Hamlisch.  If you're an artist, this song strikes a profound chord, but I suppose it can apply to anyone who struggles for no other reward than the love of doing.


1 comment: