Friday, May 27, 2011

On My Own


"On My Own"
by Alain Boublil and Herbert Kretzmer
from Les Miserables (1985)

And now I'm all alone again
Nowhere to turn, no one to go to.
Without a home without a friend,
Without a face to say hello to.
And now the night is near -
Now I can make believe he's here ...

Sometimes I walk alone at night
When everybody else is sleeping.
I think of him and then I'm happy
With the company I'm keeping.
The city goes to bed
And I can live inside my head.

On my own
Pretending he's beside me.
All alone,
I walk with him till morning.
Without him,
I feel his arms around me,
And when I lose my way,
I close my eyes
And he has found me.

In the rain
The pavement shines like silver.
All the lights
Are misty in the river.
In the darkness,
The trees are full of starlight.
And all I see is him and me
Forever and forever.

And I know it's only in my mind
That I'm talking to myself and not to him.
And although I know that he is blind -
Still I say, there's a way for us.

I love him -
But when the night is over,
He is gone ...
The river's just a river.
Without him,
The world around me changes.
The trees are bare and everywhere
The streets are full of strangers.

I love him,
But every day I'm learning.
All my life
I've only been pretending.
Without me,
His world will go on turning -
A world that's full of happiness
That I have never known.

I love him ...
I love him ...
I love him ...
But only ...
On my own.

I'm fairly certain this will be the only Les Miserables post in this blog.  Those who know me and my musical theatre tastes know my opinion of this bloated, over-long, self-important three-and-a-half-hour plus MARATHON.  I've seen the production twice ... once with the touring company, and once in its Broadway home.  Both times I've found myself rolling my eyes, squirming in my seat, and not really caring very much for the fate of any character on stage.

Frankly, just like Wicked, I don't get why people fall all over themselves for this show.  Just. Don't. Get. It.  And, like Wicked, I thoroughly enjoyed the score when I first listened to it, but after finding the show shallow and uninvolving, my distaste has trickled down to the score as well.

HOWEVER, there is one song in the show that I still enjoy very much.  "On My Own" is a rapturously beautiful torch song and "power ballad."  And to have it sung by one of my favorite performers, Lea Salonga, in the video clip above, makes it even better.

1 comment:

  1. love, love, LOVE this song! but i agree with not understanding why everyone seems to love the musical so much. not a fan. but i cant agree about Wicked....LOVE that one! :) i have a really great remix of this song that you might like :)

    ReplyDelete