Thursday, May 19, 2011

Take Me to the World

"Take Me to the World"
by Stephen Sondheim
from Evening Primrose (1966)

Let me see the world with clouds -
Take me to the world.
Out where I can push through crowds -
Take me to the world.
A world that smiles,
With streets instead of aisles,
Where I can walk for miles with you.

Take me to the world that’s real -
Show me how it’s done.
Teach me how to laugh, to feel -
Move me to the sun.
Just hold my hand
Whenever we arrive.
Take me to a world where I can be alive.


Let me see the world that smiles -
Take me to the world.
Somewhere I can walk for miles -
Take me to the world.
With all around
Things growing in the ground
Where birds that make a sound are birds.

Let me see the world that’s real -
Show me how it’s done.
Teach me how to laugh, to feel -
Move me to the sun.
Just hold my hand whenever we arrive.
Let it be a world with you,
Any other world with you,
Take me to a world where I can be alive.

We shall see the world come true -
We shall have the world.
I won’t be afraid with you -
We shall have the world.
You’ll hold my hand
And know you’re not alone.
You shall have the world to keep,
Such a lovely world you’ll weep,
We shall have the world
Forever ... for our own.

Evening Primrose Part Two today!  See yesterday's post for an explanation.  Here is the other "famous" song from the musical ... Ella urging Charles to escape to the "real world."


No comments:

Post a Comment