Sunday, June 19, 2011

Alexander


Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible,
No Good, Very Bad Day (1972)
by Judith Viorst

There were lima beans for dinner and I hate limas.
There was kissing on TV and I hate kissing.
My bath was too hot, I got soap in my eyes, my marble went down the drain, and I had to wear my railroad-train pajamas.
I hate my railrood train pajamas.
When I went to bed Nick took back the pillow he said I could keep and the Mickey Mouse night light burned out and I bit my tongue.
The cat wants to sleep with Anthony, not with me.
It has been a terrible, horrible, no good, very bad day.
My mom says some days are like that.
Even in Australia.

Poor Alexander can't win for losing.  Everything is going wrong and it's a terrible, horrible, no good very bad day.  His day starts with waking up to find gum in his hair and it just goes downhill from there.  This is ABSOLUTELY one of my favorite children's books - from acclaimed children's author, Judith Viorst.  If you've never read it, do yourself a favor and pick it up ... although you'll probably want to move to Australia.

No comments:

Post a Comment