Saturday, June 18, 2011

The Gentle Movement

"Vegan Diet: Why Does it Make People So Angry?" (2011)
by Christina Pirello

After reading the book Skinny Bitch last summer during my week in Ireland, I became a devoted vegetarian ... eschewing all meat (beef, pork, chicken, fish), but still eating dairy products and eggs.  I have been a steadfast vegetarian now for almost twelve months.  Over the past couple of weeks, while reading Jonathan Safran Foer's Eating Animals, I decided that I need to go "all the way" ... to veganism.  NO animal products whatsoever, including dairy and eggs.  This is PARTICULARLY difficult for me, since I could simply LIVE on cheese.

It's a VERY difficult lifestyle to follow ... especially when eating out.  I have "cheated" here and there, eating some dairy and even some fish tonight at dinner.  I have frequently been asked to explain why I've made the decision to become vegetarian and now vegan, and it's hard to give a simple, concise answer to that question.  Fortunately, my friend Susan sent me a link to this article in the Huffington Post which states the reasons for the choice VERY succinctly and also explores why some people seem so vehemently opposed, and even angry, with people who have made this personal decision.

I posted this article myself on Facebook, and Ms. Pirello was right ... even I got some fairly "angry responses."  Go figure ... is it THAT threatening?

No comments:

Post a Comment