Monday, June 6, 2011

The Grey Havens


The Return of the King (1955)
by J.R.R. Tolkien

"Well, here at last, dear friends,
on the shores of the Sea comes the end of
our fellowship in Middle-Earth.
Go in peace!
I will not say: do not weep;
for not all tears are an evil."

I thought I'd take a small vacation from the world of musical theatre this week and stick with some of my favorite prose, starting with The Lord of the Rings.

I nearly INHALED this trilogy for the first time when I was in high school.  I've always been more than a bit of a fantasy and sci-fi geek ... to dive into this monumental trilogy and live in this thrilling, complex, breathtaking, living world was nothing less than a dream.  And the final scene above at The Grey Havens with the wizard, Gandalf, bidding goodbye to his companions never failed to bring me to tears.

The film adaptations of the past decade brought Tolkien's universe to vivid and faithful life, but they'd never match the scenes and visions I could compose in my head.  As a teen and a budding visual artist (I need to get back to that, too), I would draw pictures of the Balrog and Gollum and Shelob and Smaug (from The Hobbit).  I think I've read the entire trilogy a few times, but it's been quite some time since my last trip to Middle-Earth.  Maybe it's time for a return visit ...

No comments:

Post a Comment