Tuesday, June 14, 2011

I Believe


"I Believe"
by Trey Parker, Robert Lopez, and Matt Stone
from The Book of Mormon (2011)

Ever since I was a child
I tried to be the best ...
So what happened?
My family and friends
All said I was blessed ...
So what happened?


It was supposed to be all so exciting
To be teaching of Christ across the sea,
But I allowed my faith to be shaken -
Oh, what's the matter with me?

I've always longed to help the needy,
To do the things I never dared,
This was the time for me to step up,
So then why was I so scared?

A warlord who shoots people in the face.
What's so scary about that?
I must trust that my Lord is mightier
And always has my back.
Now I must be completely devout
I can't have even one shred of doubt...

I Believe -
that the Lord God created the universe.
I Believe -
That he sent his only Son to die for my sins.
And I Believe -
That ancient Jews built boats and sailed to America.
I am a Mormon,
And a Mormon just believes.

You cannot just believe part way,
You have to believe in it all.
My problem was doubting the Lord's will
Instead of standing tall.

I can't allow myself to have any doubt.
It's time to set my worries free.
Time to show the world
What Elder Price is about,
And share the power inside of me!

I Believe -
That God has a plan for all of us.
I Believe -
That plan involves me getting my own planet.
And I Believe -
That the current President of The Church,
Thomas Monson, speaks directly to God.
I am a Mormon
And dang it,
A Mormon just believes!

I know that I must go and do
The things my God commands.
I realize now why He sent me here!
If you ask the Lord in faith,
He will always answer you.
Just believe in him
And have no fear!

I Believe -
That Satan has a hold of you.
I Believe -
That the Lord God has sent me here.
And I Believe -
That in 1978 God changed his mind about black people!
You can be a Mormon!
A Mormon who just believes!

And now I can feel the excitement.
This is the moment I was born to do.
And I feel so incredible -
To be sharing my faith with you
The scriptures say that if you ask in faith,
If you ask God himself you'll know.
But you must ask him without any doubt,
And let your spirit grow!

I Believe -
That God lives on a planet called Kolob.
I Believe -
That Jesus has his own planet as well.
And I Believe -
That the Garden of Eden was in Jackson County, Missouri.
If you believe,
The Lord will reveal it.
And you'll know it's all true -
You'll just feel it.

You'll be a Mormon
And by gosh!
A Mormon just...
Believes!

Tasteless?  Perhaps.  Blasphemous?  Probably.  Hysterical?  Absolutely.

But what do you expect from the creators of South Park and one of the creators of Avenue Q?  You certainly don't expect them to pull any punches, and they don't.  The Book of Mormon swept the Tony Awards two nights ago, and I have to admit I've listened to the cast recording pretty much non-stop since I got it last week.  The video above was the selection that was telecast in the Awards ceremony ... probably the only song that COULD be broadcast on network television (or appropriately posted here on this blog).  It also happens to be my favorite song in the score. An unforgiving, satirical take on a contemporary Christian a-la-Amy-Grant anthem, and if you don't listen carefully, you'll miss the occasional gut-busting comic lines that make it distinctly The Book of Mormon.  If you're also REALLY paying attention, you'll hear a two-verse homage to The Sound of Music, as well!!

1 comment:

  1. awesome! ive got the cast recording on hold at the library...hoping it gets here soon! by the by...if you want mormon satire from the creators of southpark....you absolutely need to see the movie "Orgazmo"

    ReplyDelete