Monday, June 13, 2011

It Only Takes a Moment


"It Only Takes a Moment"
by Jerry Herman
from Hello, Dolly! (1964)
 
It only takes a moment
For your eyes to meet, and then ...
Your heart knows in a moment
You will never be alone again.
 
I held her for an instant
But my arms felt sure and strong.
It only takes a moment
To be loved a whole life long ...
 
And that is all
That love's about,
And we'll recall when time runs out ...
That it only took a moment
To be loved a whole life long!

"Isn't the world full of wonderful things?" ... My single proudest moment as a performer was playing Cornelius Hackl in a benefit concert performance of Hello, Dolly! a couple of years ago.  In the concert, I also had the pleasure and honor of performing alongside Broadway stars Pam Myers and Harvey Evans, as Dolly and Horace. 

This is such an incredible ballad (though I've never heard the additional verse in Barrowman's version above) and, as an added bonus, Cornelius has this remarkable monologue smack dab in the middle of the song, taken directly from the source - Thornton Wilder's The Matchmaker.  The final lines ...

"Today I've lost so many things.  My job, my future, everything that people think is important, but I don't care!  Even if I have to dig ditches for the rest of my life, I'll be a ditch digger who once had a wonderful day."

No comments:

Post a Comment