Friday, June 3, 2011

September Song


"September Song"
by Maxwell Anderson
from Knickerbocker Holiday  (1938)
 
Oh, it's a long, long while from May to December,
But the days grow short when you reach September.
When the autumn weather turns the leaves to flame
One hasn't got time for the waiting game.

And the days dwindle down to a precious few ...
September, November.
And these few precious days I'd spend with you -
These golden days I'll spend with you.
 
As the school year draws to an end, this song has been running through my head ... I'm not sure why. It doesn't have anything whatsoever to do with school or summer vacation.  The days are certainly "dwindling down to a precious few" (my Facebook status yesterday morning) and September calls to mind the beginning of the new school year. 
 
This lovely song with its melancholy melody by Kurt Weill (from the 1938 musical Knickerbocker Holiday) was a pop and jazz hit for MANY artists, most notably Frank Sinatra.  I was thrilled to find this Sarah Vaughan rendition on YouTube ... ENJOY!!

No comments:

Post a Comment